Saturday, July 5, 2008

Friday 7/4


Today is July 4th. At home in Raleigh all of our friends are inevitably celebrating with the typical 4th of July accessories: hot dogs, hamburgers, and fireworks. But here in Mexico those quintessential American traditions had no effect on our day at work.
Many of us sleeping in the sanctuary started our day with a scream as Bethany and Casey decided it would be funny to wake us up by banging pots and pans together. After two cups of black coffee and morning devotion it was time to head off to work. My group finished laying block on top of a house that we have been working on all week. It was really meaningful for us to finish this because we have worked on this house all week and we saw something tangible of what all our hard work was for.
After a hard morning of work and a big lunch it was time for my daily siesta. But as it seems to happen a lot around here, my sleep was rudely interrupted by a few people I won’t name. (Sarah Starbuck and Jessica McNeil.) I have found this week that nothing wakes you up like applying a fresh coat of sunscreen. So, with a new coat of sunscreen on, I began to shake off the drowsiness and I was ready for work.
In the afternoon we poured our last roof of the week. This was a big deal for a lot of people because it would likely be the last work they’d ever do in Mexico. So, with the undying motivation of going out with a bang, everyone took their places and began to work. My role in this afternoon’s work was being a member of the “dream team of shoveling.” The team consisted of Drew Bailey, Hunter Starr, Walt Roberson, Patrick Walthall, and I.
About halfway through the roof the sky opened up and it began to pour. I learned in English class this year that water symbolizes change or revival. So, with our theme this week being change I think that it is really fitting it has rained most of the time we have been here. The rain cooled our bodies and washed the cement off of us, giving us the strength to finish the roof.
Casey’s message tonight was a call to action. On the first night he challenged us to ask ourselves whether or not we are actually Christians. Tonight he called on us to answer that challenge. I was particularly moved by his sermon because he quoted some scripture I had read in my morning devotion. The verse was Luke 9:24, which says, “Whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.”
It has been a hard week at work, and I know that we are all tired and ready for a fun day at the market tomorrow. I know that we will all miss the times we have had in Mexico, but we will never forget the love that the Mexican people have shown us this week.

Billy Wollman

No comments: